Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern meal made from ground chickpeas and fava beans. In order to make falafel, you need to have a peanut plant. Peanut is the most common legume used in falafel, but you can also use other types of legumes like soybeans or black beans.
This blog post will show you how to grow a peanut plant for falafel. First, you need to choose the right peanut for falafel.
For this recipe, you will need the peanut variety called Valencia, which is specifically bred for frying and baking purposes. Next, you will need to follow the steps to grow a peanut plant for falafel.
Choosing the Right Peanut for Falafel
Falafel is a popular Middle Eastern food made from ground chickpeas and spices. A common ingredient in falafel is ground peanuts, which gives the food its distinctive flavor and texture.
To make falafel with peanut butter, you will need to choose a peanut that has been roasted and ground into a paste. Peanuts that are raw or cooked with other ingredients will not work for this recipe.
Growing a Peanut Plant for Falafel
To grow a peanut plant, you will need to follow these steps:
- Choose the right cultivar of peanut for falafel. Valencia is specifically bred for frying and baking purposes and will give your falafel an excellent flavor. Other types of peanuts may work in other recipes, but they won’t be as good at creating that distinctive taste profile required in falafel. If you are growing other types of legumes, make sure to read our post on how to grow soybeans successfully.
- Plant the peanut in a soil that is rich in organic matter. Peanuts are ground nuts, so they like soils that are high in organic matter to help them germinate and grow.
- Water your peanut plant regularly, using a water-soluble fertilizer if desired.
- Prune your peanut plant occasionally to control height and shape; pruning will also remove any diseased or old leaves on the plant.
- Harvest your peanuts when they are ripe, which will vary depending on the cultivar you’ve chosen. Valencia peanuts will be ready to harvest around 85 days after planting, while other types of peanuts will take somewhat longer to mature.
- Store your peanut in a cool and dry place for maximum flavor and nutrition.
- Enjoy your homegrown peanut plant falafel!
Peanut Falafel Recipe
Frying Peanut Falafel Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 cups ground roasted peanuts
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- optional for spicing up falafel mix before frying
- 4 tablespoons neutral oil, such as vegetable or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. 2. In a bowl, combine peanut flour mixture and spices if using. Mix well until desired consistency is reached.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Shape falafel mix into small balls and then gently place them into the hot oil, being careful not to crank out too many at once!
- Fry for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy; remove from fryer with a slotted spoon and enjoy warm!
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce (see below). Enjoy!
- Be sure to use peanut flour mixture that is gluten-free if you have food allergies, as regular flour will contain wheat which can cause a reaction.
- If you are using canned chickpeas instead of ground roasted peanuts, be sure to rinse and drain them well before mixing into the falafel mix in order to avoid any water-logged balls later on!
- For best results when frying falafel, make sure your oil is hot enough so that the mixture will coat the bottom of the pan easily and fry slowly without sticking or burning.
- Depending on your oil temperature, it may take up to 12 minutes per batch for falafel Mix Balls to cook completely; patience is key!
If you’re looking to create your own falafel recipe, then you’ll need to grow your own peanut plants. This guide will walk you through the steps needed to grow peanut plants for falafel, as well as the importance of watering the soil and harvesting the peanuts at the right time. Make sure to follow the instructions carefully to get the best results!